What is Digital Asset Management?
Simply put, it is a way for businesses to manage all their multimedia assets in one place. For example, KonnekApp is a video focussed digital asset management platform, and here are 10 tips on how to effectively manage your content.
- Think long-term: Content you produce will continue to be valuable way beyond its initial one or two weeks after it is published, so think of each piece of content you create like a book in a library. It can be useful to different people at different times, and making it accessible from anywhere gives you the advantage of capitalising on its long tail effect.
- Centralise: Most businesses operate in silos with different teams producing different assets at different times, storing and publishing on different platforms. By implementing a strategy that advocates for all digital assets to be stored and shared from a secure, central location with appropriate naming and taxonomies, all users can benefit inside and outside the organisation.
- Use cloud storage: HD and 4k video files for example can be quite large, storage hungry assets. Choosing a platform that combines the latest cloud technology such as scalable storage, reliable bandwidth and processing power, means you don’t have to worry about running out of space, or wait long for files to download onto a device.
- Introduce analytics: So you’ve got tons of assets being accessed by hundreds of users from different teams and territories across the globe. Great. But which ones resonate, and which ones are gathering dusts? Are you reaching the right end users with the right assets? Are some files too long, short, incorrectly named or tagged? Using a solution that provides advanced viewership statistics and engagement analytics will help you understand which content to promote or demote, create more or less of, and also help you understand your end users’ motivations and viewing habits, optimisation strategies, as well as what other content to recommend to them.
- Add metadata: Storing all your digital assets in a central place is great. Using analytics to understand how it is used is even better. But what separates good digital asset management strategies from great ones, is the ability for users to easily find what they are looking for and save time. The most effective way to do this is to leverage metadata with the platform’s search function. When you add tags, chapters, titles, descriptions, categories, captions and ALT texts, you create a rich library of searchable metadata that makes it easy for your users to find what they want, on the first attempt.
- Manage access: One of the key features of KonnekApp is the ability to keep your content secure and safe, accessible to only individual users and organisations you trust. Ensure you are using a solution that allows you to control who can access your assets and more importantly, what they can do with it. A powerful identity management and user authentication feature on the platform you choose, cannot be overstated.
- Implement branding: Branded content can be the difference between building trust and loyalty from your users, and just serving content to a transient audience. Make your digital assets a key and consistent part of your brand experience, using it as a bridge to link your offline and online activities, such as prospect data capture at exhibitions, which can then be used in follow-up invitations to webinars. Your prospects are less likely to go cold, if they recognise your brand via a second medium.
- Optimise your assets: As stated above, digital media can be storage hungry, and even the best cloud solutions may struggle to swiftly serve your content. Sort your assets from large to small, ensuring that the largest ones are optimised for the web and not offline use. For example, many PDF creating software such as Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word, allow you to create files for ‘print’ or ‘web’, while video production suites make it possible to choose compression codecs that reduce file size without brutally compromising image quality.
- Repurpose content to popular media: Most websites feature barely viewed FAQs pages and ‘How to’ PDFs, that most visitors never finish reading. Would these assets be better served as short explainer videos on a central platform? Businesses may find that they are easier to digest than their text-based formats, particularly on mobile devices, which most people use to access the internet.
- Explore KonnekApp: We’ve built a powerful solution for your digital asset management needs, ensuring secure data storage and an easy-to-use interface. To find out how you can improve your digital asset management with KonnekApp, contact us below.
KonnekApp is a secure, next-generation solution for businesses looking to generate leads from video, by hosting, managing and distributing content to users on a branded platform.
KonnekApp is developed by REAS group, a bunch of thinkers, artists and architects bringing your ideas to life.